Hands-on Time: 25 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Skill Level: Easy
You will need:
- x8 150ml mini loaf tins
- parchment paper
- electric hand mixer
- wire cooling rack
- biodegradable piping bag
For the loaves
- 250g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 115 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 120 grams caster sugar
- 50 grams light brown sugar
- 2 medium eggs, at room temperature
- 3 medium ripe bananas (300g)
- 60 grams walnuts, chopped
For the Buttercream
- 135 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 100 grams icing sugar, sifted
- 20 grams walnuts, chopped
- 30 grams dried banana chips
- Preheat the oven to 190C / 170C fan / Gas Mark 5. Grease six miniature loaf tins and line with parchment paper so it overhangs the long sides of the tin.
- In a small bowl, mash the bananas with a fork and set aside until ready to use.
- Place butter, sugar and light brown sugar in a large bowl and use an electric mixer to cream together until light and fluffy, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Add one egg at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the mashed banana and mix until fully combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixture and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold through the chopped walnuts.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf tins and smooth evenly across the top with the back of a spoon. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Once baked remove the loaves from the oven and allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes, then carefully remove from the tins and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream, put the butter in a large bowl and beat with electric mixture until very soft and smooth. Add the icing sugar in two additions, beating well in between. Keep beating the mixture until light and fluffy, approximately 5-7 minutes, scraping down the sides as need. Add the buttercream to a piping back and reserve until ready to use.
- Once the loaves have cooled, snip a 1cm hole in the bottom of the piping bag and pipe a consecutive S-shaped design down the length of each loaf. Sprinkle on the chopped walnuts and insert the banana chips into the buttercream. Serve and enjoy!